City of San Diego Retired Employees Association
September 12, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes
NOTE: All votes were unanimous unless otherwise noted
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Vice-President for Advocacy Mike Bresnahan at 9:30am.
Board Members Present: Mike Bresnahan, Karen Butler, Shirley Hall, Joan Hernandez, Brad Jacobsen, Joan McNamara, Ted Myrus, Ty Rogers, Mary Ann Stepnowsky, John Tsiknas, Dave Twomey, and Janet Wood
Guests Present: None
AGENDA: There were no changes to the agenda.
MINUTES: The minutes of the August 2017 Board meeting were approved.
COMMUNICATIONS: Joan McNamara was contacted by a member who was concerned about how our message from Mary Bush’s family about her medical and financial situation looked like a solicitation from REA, and what criteria are used when deciding whose announcements/solicitations will be published in the future. This will be on the agenda for the Board retreat.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen stated that the Legal Defense Fund accounts are now reflected in the Treasurer’s Report. Dividends will not be shown as they are essentially “on paper” as reinvestments and not real income.
Annual dues for August were not received until the 31st and will be recorded in September.
Finally, Jonathan Hays will no longer be charging us a monthly fee for website maintenance.
M/S/C to approve the September Treasurer’s Report.
RETIREMENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
Charlie reported in absentia that the SDCERS Board voted to lower the Assumed Rate of Return on investments from 7.0% to 6.5% over two years.
There was discussion about what role, if any, retiree groups will play in the selection of a new CEO for SDCERS.
- Jim Baross had previously expressed some discomfort in REA using his personal projector at meetings, and suggested that we purchase a projector of our own. The device would cost approximately $800.
- M/S/C to authorize the expenditure of up to $800 from the Advocacy Committee budget for the purchase of a projector.
- The Nominating Committee has received no new nominees for Board positions.
- There was discussion about the annual award for outstanding service to retirees. In August, the Board decided to honor Jonathan Hays; however, with Mark Hovey’s impending retirement, it seems appropriate to recognize him. There was discussion about honoring two people in one year, with a counterargument that this is a one-time opportunity to honor Hovey and that Hays’ contributions this year could be forgotten or overshadowed in the years to come. It was suggested that we honor Hays for his contributions this year, and that Hovey be recognized for his career-long contributions (a life achievement award of sorts).
M/S/C (1 abstention) to approve the expenditure for two radios for Mark Hovey and Jonathan Hays.
Mary Ann will order the radios and have them shipped to Brad, who will get the plaques.
- SDCERS is requiring that full SSNs be provided as part of the supplemental insurance process. We will work with Cynthia Queen to assure members’ privacy is protected.
- Joan McNamara will draft a notice about the backstage tour of the Old Globe for the newsletter and an e-blast. Brad will be the contact person for RSVPs.
- The Board retreat will be Friday, December 1 at Mission Trails Park. Directions will be provided.
Advocacy: Mike presented a draft statement addressing Joe Flynn’s concerns about notifying members that they do not have to belong to both REA and MEA to obtain supplemental insurance. After some minor wordsmithing, the statement was accepted.
The next meeting is September 28.
Retiree Issues Task Force (RITF): No report.
Other Retired Public Employee Associations: Mike Zucchet told REA reps that briefs on
Prop B are due in October, oral arguments before the California Supreme Court will be in
late 2018 with a decision in 2019.
Active Employee Associations: No report.
Communications: No report.
Membership: Membership is 1502.
Sunshine: No report.
Newsletter: Deadline for next issue is September 20.
General Membership Programs: The October meeting will be SDCERS annual report;
November will be Carl Luna. The Holiday Party is December 5
The meeting was adjourned at 10:40am.