City of San Diego Retired Employees Association
August 14, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes
NOTE: All votes were unanimous unless otherwise noted
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Jim Baross at 9:35am.
Board Members Present: Jim Baross, Karen Butler, Shirley Hall, Joan Hernandez, Brad Jacobsen, Joan McNamara, John Tsiknas, Dave Twomey, and Janet Wood
Guests Present: Dick Wilken
AGENDA: There were no changes to the agenda.
MINUTES: The minutes of the July 2018 Board meeting were approved.
COMMUNICATIONS: There were lots of calls and questions about the changes to the health insurance plans; callers were referred to Care Counsel.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen reported that Quicken will not allow her to record transfers to the Investment Fund as expenses. There was much discussion about how (or whether) to consider transfers as expenses; the decision was to do so and find a workaround to reflect that in the Treasurer’s report
M/S/C to approve the July Treasurer’s Report.
The Investment Committee reported that the rate of return on our investments is 8.44%
M/S/C to approve the Investment Committee report.
RETIREMENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
- There was discussion about our annual award for outstanding service to REA and retirees, given at the Holiday Party. It was suggested that we recognize Ann Smith and MEA for their years-long work on Prop B. It was noted that other city labor organizations (ie, Local 127) also participated in the legal battle and should be recognized. Jim, Joan McNamara, and Joan Hernandez will research each organization’s level of participation and they will be acknowledged in proportion to their involvement.
- We still need a general member on the Nominating Committee.
- A statement from REA about the Prop B decision was sent by email to members. It will be in the newsletter, along with Ann Smith’s statement.
- Joan McNamara reported that our next outing will be to the Balboa Art Conservation Center on October 10.
- Regarding the water bottles that are to replace the coffee mugs as speaker gifts, Jim reported that he had problems getting an acceptably-formatted REA logo to the vendor of the water bottles. He will keep trying or will find another vendor.
- The Board Retreat will be either December 7 or November 30, depending on when the room at Mission Trails Park is available.
Advocacy: The next meeting is August 23.
Retiree Issues Task Force (RITF): No report.
Other Retired Public Employee Associations: No report.
Active Employee Associations: No report.
Communications: No report.
Membership: No report.
Sunshine: No report.
Newsletter: Deadline for next issue is August 20.
General Membership Programs: No report.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:45am.