City of San Diego Retired Employees Association
July 13, 2021
Board Meeting Minutes
NOTES: All votes were unanimous unless otherwise noted
The meeting was held via Zoom
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Dick Wilken at 9:15am.
Board Members Present: Jim Baross, Mike Bresnahan, Chris Brewster, Karen Butler, Shirley Hall, Joan Hernandez (at 9:45), Charlie Hogquist, Brad Jacobsen, Joan McNamara, Mary Ann Stepnowsky, John Tsiknas, Dave Twomey, Dick Wilken, and Janet Wood (at 10:10)
Guests Present: Joe Flynn
AGENDA: There were no additions or changes to the agenda.
MINUTES: The minutes of the May 2021 Board meeting were approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen reported that the only anomaly was the glitch that caused SDCERS to miss June 2021 dues deductions and the subsequent correction in July.
M/S/C to accept the May Treasurer’s Report.
INVESTMENT COMMITTEE REPORT: John reported that the Russell 3000 appreciation since the original investment in 2017 is 61.0957%; the Money Market appreciation during the same period is 3.12%. The accounts were re-balanced and are now at a 51/49 distribution.
RETIREMENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT: Charlie reported that there are a new Board President and Vice-President, and that the fund is now at $10B with a rate of return of 19%. He also reported that the City, the Airport Authority, and the Port Authority all made their full contributions to the fund, and that all new City hires are now members of SDCERS.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION ITEMS: Dick reported that SDCERS will be sending REA members a postcard explaining the error in dues deductions and the resolution.
1) Five Board members’ terms end in December: Dick Wilken, Dave Twomey, Mike Bresnahan, Mary Ann Stepnowsky, and Chris Brewster; a Nominating Committee needs to be formed. Shirley Hall and Joan McNamara volunteered to serve on the committee; we will put out a call to the membership for a non-Board member of the committee.
2) Dave announced that our next Image Enhancement Initiative will be sponsorship of the Prevent Drowning Foundation’s Learn to Swim Program. For $2000, we can sponsor programs in the Kearny Mesa and Linda Vista communities in August. Dave noted that we can sponsor similar events next year in other underserved communities.
M/S/C to approve the expenditure of $2000 to sponsor the Prevent Drowning Foundation’s Learn to Swim Program
ADVOCACY COMMITTEE REPORT
1) Councilmember briefings: Mike and Brad met with Stephen Whitburn of District 3, and Mike and Dave met with Sean Elo-Rivera of District 9; both went well. Raul Campillo (District 7) is next.
2) SDPEBA Health Fair: Over 1000 people logged in, and at least 50 people joined REA.
3) Image Enhancement Campaign: Dave reported that we raised over $3600 in the summer virtual food drive. This info will be added to our banner on Voice of San Diego.
4) Resuming in-person meetings: Our survey of members indicates that 64% of the respondents agree that in-person meetings should be only for members and guests who have been fully vaccinated. There was unanimous consensus of the Board for that position. We still do not know when City facilities will reopen; what sort of lunches (buffet or boxed) will be served, if any; and whether proof of vaccination should be required. In addition, new government restrictions/mandates due to the upsurge in Covid Delta cases may affect our plans. These issues will be discussed at the next Advocacy Committee meeting
The next meeting is Thursday, July 22 at 9:30am via Zoom.
OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS
Membership: Membership is 1713.
Newsletter: Deadline for the next issue is July 19.
Website: No report
OTHER RETIREE/ACTIVE EMPLOYEE ASSOCIATION REPORTS
Retiree Issues Task Force (RITF): The next meeting is September 15.
Retirement Security Roundtable: No report
MEA: No report.
Other Retired Public Employee Associations: No report
PROGRAMS: No changes
The meeting was adjourned at 10:35am.