City of San Diego Retired Employees Association
May 8, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes
NOTE: All votes were unanimous unless otherwise noted
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Jim Baross at 9:32am.
Board Members Present: Jim Baross, Mike Bresnahan, Karen Butler, Shirley Hall, Joan Hernandez, Charlie Hogquist, Brad Jacobsen, Ted Myrus, Ty Rogers, John Tsiknas, and Dave Twomey
Guests Present: Chris Brewster, Art Brown, and Dick Wilken
AGENDA: There were no changes to the agenda.
MINUTES: The minutes of the April 2018 Board meeting were approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen and the Investment Committee reported that the rollover of funds in the Russell 3000 has been confirmed. It was decided not to keep hard copies of the investments statements; they are available online.
M/S/C to approve the April Treasurer’s Report.
M/S/C to approve the Investment Committee report.
The Audit Committee met; the report will be presented for approval at the next (July) Board meeting.
RETIREMENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
Charlie reported that the City is very late on announcing healthcare providers. There are rumors that HealthNet may be dropped. The City is also shifting its Deferred Comp investments from Valic to CalPERS, with no notice (so far) to retirees; SDCERS is not involved in either the selection of healthcare providers or the shift from Valic.
The SDCERS Board is meeting this week; a main topic will be the repeated documentation of disability for people who took a disability retirement.
- It was decided that our new/alternative thank-you gift will be reusable water bottles
with the REA logo. The bottles cost approximately $7 each per 100, plus a set-up charge.
- M/S/C to authorize Jim Baross to purchase 100 water bottles at a cost not to exceed $1000.
- The inserts for the healthcare mailer have been printed and delivered to SDCERS.
- An expert on Medicare will be at the health Fair on June 22. We will again have a table – and cookies! – at the event.
- The Investment Committee is recommending that our final transfer of funds take place in May.
- Regarding insurance coverage, there is apparently no insurance to cover us for stock market/investment losses.
- Dave acquired a third locker for us in the War Memorial Building. It was decided that he will keep our projector at his home for security.
Advocacy: There will be no May meeting due to numerous absences (including Mike). The next meeting is June 28.
Retiree Issues Task Force (RITF): No report.
Other Retired Public Employee Associations: No report.
Active Employee Associations: No report.
Communications: No report.
Membership: We are holding steady at 1495 members.
Sunshine: No report.
Newsletter: Deadline for next issue is May 20.
General Membership Programs: All remaining speakers have been confirmed. Tom Peña will be thanked at the General Membership meeting for heading up the lunch prep group for the last three years.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:30am.